Thursday, November 17, 2011

CMA briefs congressional staff in religious liberty forum

CMA Vice President for Government Relations Jonathan Imbody recently briefed congressional staff on conscience rights at a religious liberty forum held in the U.S. Capitol. The seminar, "Free to Serve: Safeguarding the Religious Freedom of Institutions and Professionals," also included panelists Mark Rienzi, Catholic University law school; Richard Doerlinger, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops; and Susan Post, Exec. Dir., Esperanza Health Clinic in Philadelphia, Penn.

Imbody highlighted the tie between conscience rights and patient access to health care, noting that faith-based professionals and institutions often purposely locate in medically underserved areas and serve patients in medically underserved populations. Faith-based health care is the only option for many patients nationwide.

Imbody presented results of CMA's national polling, showing public support for conscience rights and laws. He also highlighted the comments of several CMDA members, including the following:
  • Dr. "H": "I entered OB/Gyn residency at a university hospital. Within a month, I left due to pressure from faculty and upper residents, solely due to conscientious objection. I chose not to participate in tubal ligation and contraceptive prescription. I … was blackballed from education. The program director basically stated that I could do these procedures, or leave."
  • Dr. Rebecca Lavy: (On faculty at teaching hospital in Dallas.) "In certain cases, faculty were required to prescribe post-coital use of oral contraceptives. I refused to prescribe it and was told, 'This may be an employment issue.' The obvious, not-so-subtle implication was that I would be fired if I refused. I didn’t agree with simply calling someone else in (one of the residents) to prescribe the medication. If prescribing them is ethically wrong, asking someone else to do it for me is equally wrong."
  • Trevor Kitchens: "I am a first-year medical student in the beginning stages of deciding which specialty I would like to pursue. I am currently very interested in OB/Gyn, but I am afraid of the relationship between this field and abortion. I am 100 percent against abortion, and there is no way I would perform one. My fear is that taking this stand would cost me my residence position. Now, if that is what it comes down to, I will be glad to take the stand for Jesus Christ and give up my position. However, I would really like to be able to avoid this situation and complete my residency so that I could go on and serve the Lord in that field."


    Resources

    Watch video of briefing at U.S. Capitol
    Discrimination stories


    ACTION ALERT:

    You can impact U.S. public policy:
    1. Join your colleagues: Sign up for federal jobs, commissions, consultation
      Consider advancing your career and your values while serving your profession and nation:
      • Launch a career in the federal government.
      • Network with colleagues and guide national policy by serving on a federal commission.
      • Provide expert counsel to Members of Congress, White House staff and agency officials.
    2. Simply sign up for CMA's Freedom2Care coalition's Federal Registry on LinkedIn (registration is free) and stay updated with notices of opportunities plus tips, updates and discussions.
    3. Track legislation, get alerts, sound off

No comments:

Post a Comment